Over the last few years, statistics and articles revel in the growth of mobile app usage, the soaring increase in live apps on app stores, the billions of dollars in revenue that continue to skyrocket – yet, for media companies – these monumental effects have not been felt across the board. In an oversaturated market, there have been shifts towards news aggregators, and expectations of free app content. What’s a company to do in this day and age? You know you need an app, but you don’t want to invest the time, dollars or marketing in it.
On the other hand, there’s constant talk of the next big thing, the emerging technology – holograms, virtual reality, and smart contact lenses – it’s overwhelming when you’re trying to figure out today while having a hand in tomorrow as well. Luckily, there are plenty of companies who worry about that so you as a content creator don’t have to.
You could have the greatest website in the world but you won’t attract the people on their phones without an app. It’s a necessity. The numbers don’t lie:
–2 billion people in the world own a smartphone.
-Of the time spent on phones, 89% of that time is spent in apps, the remaining 11% on the mobile web.
-There are 224 million monthly app users in the US.
-There has been an increase of 21% in the time spent in apps since 2014.
-Worldwide mobile app revenue has grown from 27 billion dollars in 2013 to 45 billion dollars in 2015. It’s projected to reach 77 billion by 2017.
-Facebook reported 80% of the ad revenue came from mobile in Q4 2015, up from 69% in Q4 2014, and 20% in Q4 2013.
Mobile needs to be a big part of your strategy right now. Okay, but what about the fact that media companies are suffering here? It’s not all bad; News & Magazine apps grew their app sessions 141% in 2015, trumping TV and desktop media consumption.
Knowing all these fine facts is one thing, but implementing a solid strategy and game plan is another.
Let’s think for a second. Phone users – when are they reading? When do they have time? They’re lying in their bed in the morning, over coffee at breakfast, on a crowded subway, while they wait on line to pay for a sandwich at lunch, back on their commute, and in the comfort of their home. What are they expecting?
Constant updates: between 9am and 11pm, there’s new news – each launch should be a new experience.
Personalization: either being able to choose topics by interest, or having a save for later, offline reading combination, think reading list + no wifi = prime time to be a top opened app on a 45 minute subway ride.
Stability: provide an app experience that never lets a user down, no bugs, no crashes, just a solid, intuitive design and feel.
And finally, tasteful advertisement: no way to beat around the bush, you have to make money somehow, but do it right.
Well, we’ve gotten this far – you know what you need so how do you get it? Do your research. There are plenty of app developers both custom and platform based in all price ranges. Find an app on the app store you like, see what your competitors are doing, what do you like or dislike about their apps? You have to be on the app store, so make the most of it!
If you want to talk to us more about your mobile app strategy, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.